Cost is the starting point, social impact is the goal, technology is the medium.
* Make it economically worthwhile for all stakeholders – create direct economic benefits
* Source locally – Use whats readily available
* Re-purpose available technology
* Upcycle if possible – recycle if not
* Make it serviceable, dismantable and reusable
* Its not enough to make it open source – try to embed know-how in the design.
Key questions of this group are:
* How do we create tools for an emerging digital cottage industry?
* How do we create methods to spark creativity within constrains?
* How do we create appropriate tech with high impact?
* How do we create an unsubsidized, demand-driven approach towards social innovation?